Bring your neighbour!
Neighbour Day is Australia’s annual celebration of community, encouraging people to connect with those who live in their neighbourhood.
Carlton Residents Association, City of Melbourne’s Kathleen Syme Library and Community Centre and the University of Melbourne are partnering to host a Neighbour Day event in Carlton on Sunday the 26th of March 2017.
What is planned
Faraday Street in front of the Kathleen Syme Centre will be transformed into a vibrant and fun zone of community led family friendly all age inclusive activities including a long lunch.
- PLAY: Faraday Street will be become a play street for the day. The street will be closed to cars allowing children to play. Play activities will be simple and free: water and nature play, skipping, drawing with giant chalk on the street, old fashioned and giant yard games.
- LEARNING: There will be a range of activities and information stalls focused on households reducing energy consumption and reducing and reusing waste.
- FOOD: There will be a long lunch using the Welcome Dinner model where everyone brings along a plate of food of significance to them thereby sharing something of their culture with others around the table. There will also be food available to buy at the local social enterprise café (Wild Timor), from Culture Kitchen and a halal sausage sizzle.
- ART: Drawings from the ‘My neighbourhood’ competition will be on exhibit.
- MUSIC: Local musicians and buskers will fill the street with music.
10am-2pm on Sunday, 26th of March 2017. In front of 251 Faraday Street, Carlton
- An opportunity for local residents to connect with their neighbours. Research indicates that people living in neighbourhoods that are highly connected enjoy higher levels of physical and mental health and wellbeing.
- An opportunity for local residetns to make new connections. Carlton is a diverse and varied neighbourhood and Neighbour Day will be an opportunity to meet residents from a variety of backgrounds and interests.
- See what it would be like if this section of Faraday Street were closed to cars.
What you can do
We’d like to invite you to be involved in the day. Bring your neighbour!
Register for the Welcome Lunch: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/neighbour-day-carlton-community-welcome-lunch-tickets-32075427467